Comments from the CEO: The excitement for contemporary art continues
The Contemporary Sale took off to a solid start with Harry Schein’s furniture fetching many times over the estimate, followed by 60 lots of sought-after Danish design without a single unsold lot. The Print Department sold way over estimates with top names such as Andy Warhol, Ed Ruscha and Francis Bacon.
The Modern Sale already demonstrated the huge appeal of international names in Sweden and Bukowskis: a painting by Yayoi Kusama, exhibiting currently at the Tate, sold for SEK 686,000, a Willem de Kooning for SEK 4,165,000, and a Sam Francis way over the estimate at SEK 961,625. The trend was similar with photographs, with Irving Penn, Diane Arbus and Nick Brandt selling quite well.
Three new world records were set: Nick Brandt’s Elephant Drinking, Amboseli 2007 sold for SEK 830,000, Ola Billgren’s Tarragona for SEK 4,329,000 and a piece by Maria Friberg Still lives #3, 2004 for SEK 421,000.
Our special project on political art of the 1970s, Aesthetics of Resistance, was a moderate success. Resistance pays off – even financially, it seems.
Other major highlights of the auction included Öyvind Fahlström’s Phase of sitting…Five panels, 1967, Dick Bengtsson’s Hus med hakkors och spade, Ernst Billgren’s 175 cm tall bronze sculpture Ekorre and Maria Miesenberger’s sculpture Half an Angel.
Just like last year, Bukowskis dominates the market for contemporary art in Sweden, being three times the size of the runner up. The lead in photography is particularly great.
This auction totalled SEK 42,664,886 incl. commissions. We have already sold a total of 21 lots for more than SEK one million in 2012, which is a new record in terms of the time period, and even in terms of total sales during the period, SEK 126,575,897.
1. Josef Albers, "Study for Homage to the Square: 'Starblue'". Sold for SEK 6,550,000
2. Marc Chagall, "La Mariée à la Lune". Sold for SEK 5,367,000
3. Fernand Léger, "Le remorqueur". Sold for SEK 5,193,690
4. Ola Billgren, Tarragona. Sold for SEK 4,329,000
5. Willem de Kooning, Woman. Sold for SEK 4,213,000
6. Olle Baertling, "Mithra". Sold for SEK 3,440,000
7. Josef Albers, "Study for Homage To The Square: 'Wet and Dry' ". Sold for SEK 3,613,750
8. Gösta Adrian-Nilsson, "Flotte"/ "Flotta" (Franska matroser). Sold for SEK 2,885,000
9. Ola Billgren Terrain Vague. Sold for SEK 2,423,000
10. Leander Engström, "Varitédansöser". Sold for SEK 2,327,000
11. Henri Matisse, Etude de pied. Sold for SEK 2,111,000
12. Henri Laurens, "Tête de jeune fillette". Sold for SEK 1,640,000
13. Karin Mamma Andersson, Mot gryning blek. Sold for SEK 1,264,000
14. Olle Baertling, "Ayarb". Sold for SEK 1 264 000
15. Knut Lundström, ”Nature Morte (Accord en bleu)". Sold for SEK 1,200,000
16. Philip von Schantz, "Rensåpa". Sold for SEK 1,200,000
17. Olle Baertling "Dynamique Diagonale". Sold for SEK 1,113,000
18. Bror Hjorth, "Bondpolskan". Sold for SEK 1,113,000
19. Öyvind Fahlström, Phase 4 of sitting…Five panels, 1967. Sold for SEK 1,013,000
20. Carl Kylberg "Människor på väg I". Sold for SEK 1,012,880
21. Carlos Cruz-Diez, "Physichromie 748". Sold for SEK 1,004,500
(The price includes commission and droit de suite.)
See the hammer prices from the Spring Contemporary Sale 2012
In a few days we will release the Classic Sale catalogue online, with key works by such Swedish masters as Zorn, Carl Larsson, Hill and Strindberg, and also featuring royal Danish diadems, Haupt, Iwersson and craft bronzes, as well as exceptionally large departments of silver and Oriental objects.
Welcome to Bukowskis!
Consignments in progress to the Autumn Sales.
Lena Nytén +46 (0)8 614 08 17
Specialist photography and contemporary art
Anna Persson +46 (0)8 614 08 30
Specialist contemporary art
Anders Welander +46 (0)8 614 08 27
Specialist fine prints
Eva Seeman, +46 (0)8 614 08 31
Specialist design modern and contemporary works of art and 20th century silver
Camilla Behrer, +46 (0)8 614 08 19
Specialist design modern and contemporary works of art
Anette Granlund, +46 (0)8 614 08 12
Carpets, textiles and Islamic works of art