Decorated in Rimpa style with gold hiramaki-e, keuchi, and inlays of lead and mother-of-pearl against a black lacquer ground with nashiji, with an open fan (ogi) with floral sprays, autumnal windswept grasses, sparse nashiji to the inside cover, brocade lining within the base, lead rims. Measurement 9.3 x 7.5 x 5.3 cm.
The Collection of Wivica Ankarcrona Borell (1935-2019).
The foundation of the collection was laid by Rear Admiral/Flag officer Sten Ankarcrona (1861-1936). Ankarcrona first got a taste for the Asian Art while following his fathers’s footsteps serving as ‘enseigne de vaisseau’ for the French navy “la Royale” during the years 1885-1889, when his Fregatt sailed in the area. Ankarcrona continued to ad on to the collection, later in life when he was sent on a special mission to Japan in 1923. He brought back vast collections of lacquer, bronzes, textiles, ceramics.
In 1911 the family moved to the mansion like duplex next to Sturegatan in Stockholm. The elegant home and their summer house at Brevik by Erstaviken where Ankarcrona created a Japanese garden (1923-27) and even set up a complete Japanese building was documented in the the magazine 'Svenska Hem i ord och bild' in 1928, which provide us with a fascinating window into this golden age of European collecting. The world renowned collection received many prestigious visitors throughout the years, the guest book contains signature of both the Swedish king Gustav VI Adolf as well as the Japanese crown prince, later Emperor Akihito.
Stens son Sten S:son Ankarcrona (1904-1981, continued the tradition of collecting, amongst other things Swedish 18th Century furniture and art, pieces that worked well with family heirlooms from the Bergenstråhle, Bohnstedt, Cassel, Mörner and Lybecker families.
Wivica was married to Ulf Borell, appointed physician to the Swedish royal family. She was a loyal visitor to the auctions and museums around the world. Her friends and family also know her as an opera
Eskenazi Ltd., Japanese Inro and Lacquer-ware from a Private Swedish Collection, (London, 1996), no. 58, p. 54-55.