a ceramic sculpture of a bird, Arabia, Finland 1958.
Metal legs and beak, attached to a metal plaque. Richly decorated with clocks, etc, Signed KAIPIAINEN ARABIA. Height 53 cm, length ca 62 cm.
Repair to the head, one gem to the chest later, some retouches, small chip to tail.
125 000 - 150 000 SEK
11 860 - 14 231 EUR
The sculpture exhibited at Birger Kaipiainen's solo exhibition in the Wärtsilä Shop showroom in Helsinki 1958.
Birger Kaipiainen (1915-1988) was a ceramic artist with a very special design language that exposed a rich fantasy of his. Kaipiainen was employed by Arabia as a 22-year-old in 1937 and stayed there until 1954 when he went to Sweden to work at the Rörstrand factory between 1954 and 1958. He then returned to Finland
and to Arabia where he remained until his death in 1988.
Birger Kaipiainen's earliest production was inspired by for instance the Byzantine art, he often used a sgraffito technique when working on the decorations.
The decorative and flowering chargers as seen from Kaipiainen's later production, perhaps what he is best known for, were usually built up with the relief effect of ceramic beads and the glazes were often colourful and intense, sometimes with iridescent hues of the glaze. In addition to the flowers and the fruits his motifs also featured various animals. The birds were the most common ones.
Kaipiainen began experimenting with pure sculptural motifs with birds in the late 1950s and received the Grand Prix at the Triennale in Milan for a sandpiper bird sculpture in 1960.
This sandpiper sculpture that Bukowskis have the pleasure of selling is made in 1958 and has a body entirely in ceramics. The decoration shows a variety of clocks, a recurring motif in Kaipiainen's visual world which is said to have reminded Kaipiainen of the young friend Kuovi who spoke about the migratory birds' intrinsic clock.
This sandpiper sculpture forebode the pearl birds that came to make Kaipiainen internationally known. These birds were made by first creating a steel skeleton that built up the shape, which was clad with hand-rolled ceramic beads and sometimes provided with other decorative elements.
The auction's sculpture is documented from Kaipiainen's separate exhibition at Wärtsilä in Helsinki in 1958.